Joondalup Motorcycles
West Coast Trail Bike Safaris RTRA
Ride Expeditions Southern Racing Suspension
Coffey Rock Motorcycle Parts MX Retreads
The Ducks Nuts Motorbike Park
Savage Motorcycles
Motoshop Tyre and Gear
Speedlite Cycles Maylands Trail and Enduro Club of WA

Only members can post in this forum. Sign up for a new account or login now.
Username:   Password:   Remember Me  

Best GPS?

« Previous 12
(11 Posts)
country kid
Trailrider
May 5, 2013 #1
Hey guys!
Went on a nice big ride yesterday and developed a new respect for having a GPS on the trails, they seem to help ALOT! when it comes to finding your ways and not having to turn around every second track! was just wondering what people use and how well they work, the Garmin GPSmap 62 seem to be popular. just wondering what else is out there and what works? what you think is best? has any one had a problem breaking one when you have an off?
lee
Trailrider
May 5, 2013 #2
Check out the Garmin Nuvi 500 it has the same water proof qualitys as the hand holds and is much easier to read as its a big screen. It can also be used as a normal GPS in your car. I have been running mine for a couple of years now without any problems.
Pounce
Goon
May 5, 2013 #3
:D
country kid
Trailrider
May 5, 2013 #4
HAHA ^^
country kid
Trailrider
May 5, 2013 #5
What unit are you using pounce?
Pounce
Goon
May 5, 2013 #6
Garmin Montana
RDRAGE
Goon
May 5, 2013 #7
I bought the cheapest one i could find
Magellan 110 from dick smith. $128
Got a handlebar mount for $29 -
Works pretty well but you can't upgrade the maps on this model so it's just the basic option.
Takes 2 x AA batteries - would be better if it could just be recharged from the car lighter etc.
Not as water proof as i would have liked - washed the bike with it on and now it has a bit of water in it.
Madmacs told me not to get a touch screen one - this one has a joiststick which works really well.
Lord_Muck
Pro
May 7, 2013 #8
I just ordered a Garmin E-trex 20 with a RAM holder and RAM mounts all from Johnny Appleseed (www.ja-gps.com.au).

It's a fairly basic, handheld, waterproof GPS (not touch screen) and it has a colour screen. The Garmin E-trex 10 is only $99 and basically does a similar job.

Can't tell you how it works yet, i haven't grabbed any maps as my internet isn't connected at home. But XooM has had the older version E-trex 10 for a coupla years and it always gets us to where we need to be (when he remembers the spare batteries)

They have mounts to fit it to bikes and a holder etc on that site, they are out of stock of one of the motorcycle mounts that looks like it's fitted with zip ties, they neglected to ring and tell me so i emailed them a week later, got some other mounts and they posted it off and it arrived the next day.

Takes 2 x AA batteries, but i like that coz u can carry spares, rather than being out bush with it going flat on you.
NeeeEiEEeieeieeiEEitttttt *fukn* NeeieiEEiEeeeiEEeet *fukn* nEeeEEeeeiEEiiiEEEiiiiEEEEt
Sam
Master
May 20, 2013 #9
sorry to dig up an old thread but couldn't find answer I needed...

im lookin for a ram mount to go on my handlebars for my etrex 10. I cheched johnny apppleseed but couldn't spot a handlebar mount...am I missing something?

Lord_Muck wrote:
I just ordered a Garmin E-trex 20 with a RAM holder and RAM mounts all from Johnny Appleseed (www.ja-gps.com.au).

It's a fairly basic, handheld, waterproof GPS (not touch screen) and it has a colour screen. The Garmin E-trex 10 is only $99 and basically does a similar job.

Can't tell you how it works yet, i haven't grabbed any maps as my internet isn't connected at home. But XooM has had the older version E-trex 10 for a coupla years and it always gets us to where we need to be (when he remembers the spare batteries)

They have mounts to fit it to bikes and a holder etc on that site, they are out of stock of one of the motorcycle mounts that looks like it's fitted with zip ties, they neglected to ring and tell me so i emailed them a week later, got some other mounts and they posted it off and it arrived the next day.

Takes 2 x AA batteries, but i like that coz u can carry spares, rather than being out bush with it going flat on you.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Sam
Master
May 20, 2013 #10
or maybe I worked it out.
I buy the ram mount for my model and thgen I buy one of these: http://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM/rap-sb-187u/ to fit mount to the bars?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
« Previous 12
(11 Posts)

Twitter Feed